The vagina ages in much the same way as the skin covering the rest of the body. It loosens and sags, taking on a droopy and wrinkled appearance.
What is Genital Rejuvenation?
Women often notice differences in their vagina after pregnancy and childbirth, but are particularly susceptible to vaginal changes following menopause.
Vaginal atrophy is one such change, where the vagina’s lining becomes thinner, drier and less elastic, due to declining levels of the hormone oestrogen. In addition to being less attractive and non-appealing, an atrophic vagina is often the cause of great discomfort. The lack of lubrication of the vagina, causes general itching and dyspareunia (pain during sex), which can get worse, if the condition is left untreated.
Who should consider genital Rejuvenation?
- If you experience a sag in your vaginal structures and have become more lax due to aging, weight loss or pregnancies.
- If you have discomfort from scarring as a result of previous genital surgeries.
- If you have stress urinary incontinence and wish to combine a “vaginal lift” with a corrective procedure.
- If you desire a sleeker, more refined contour to your labia and vulva.
What are the procedures available for Genital Rejuvenation?
At Skin Lounge we offer a combination of treatments for vaginal rejuvenation, which include:
- Dermal fillers : One of the most popular treatments is the use of dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid (HA) gel. The benefits of HA as a panacea for anti-ageing have been well documented, and indeed HA-based fillers have been commonly and successfully used to rejuvenate facial skin for many years.
- Laser resurfacing : Just as dermal fillers have been adapted for use in genital rejuvenation, a more recent development is the fractional laser, in which the laser beam is optically split into thousands of tiny dots, each targeting a minuscule area at a time and leaving the surrounding tissue undamaged. The laser uses light that transfers into heat energy, which penetrates to a depth that stimulates and promotes the regeneration of collagen and elastin fibres in the vaginal tissue. This newly synthesised collagen and elastin causes the vaginal skin to thicken – in the same way as the facial skin plumps when collagen production is boosted. The outcome is rejuvenated and toned vaginal skin.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) : This PRP is rich in growth factors, naturally occurring substances that stimulate cell growth and proliferation, and thereby promote tissue regeneration.